6.29.2010

The Shitkicker Incident

[Joey officially touching ocean number 2 for the month]

It's been a few days since my last post - things move a little slower here at the beach.  Joey and I arrived in Savannah at noon on Saturday after a tough (boring drive and we were really tired) overnight drive from New Orleans.  Apparently there was a conference of GA Municpal workers going on in Savannah so hotels were hard to come by.  I booked a room for 4 at the Eliza Thompson house on a referral from the booked up Marshall House where i typically stay when I'm in town.

After we parked Joe and I walked to Molly McPherson's to grab a spot at the bar to watch the US world cup match which would start at 2 PM.  Right around 2, Mom and Dad arrived from Charlotte where they had spent the night to break up their drive from Cincinnati.  I met them at the curb, and directed them to the hotel which had just opened up for check in.  We put a few things in the room and walked back to meet Joe at the bar to watch the US get eliminated from the tournament.

After the game we popped into a bar when we heard a Hank Williams tune emanating from within.  We stayed to watch Damon and the Shitkickers - a group of younger guys playing old country standards.  They were really good - mom and i wanted to give them a good tip since we were pretty much the only people in the bar and they were playing our requests, but we had a communication breakdown and ended up accidentally giving them a REALLY good ($60) tip when i put in money for both my mom and I and she did the same.

After the shitkicker incident we went back to the hotel, cleaned up and headed to the Marshall house for a few drinks with the bartenders James and Rex who know me from previous visits - as soon as I walked in James placed my typical order (Hendricks and Tonic with a cucumber garnish ) in front of me without me asking.  We finished our drinks and headed to the Pink House for a delicious dinner.  After dinner we walked around town for a bit before heading back to the hotel for the night.

The next morning we had a quick breakfast in the hotel courtyard before heading out of town to drop the Camry - our home for much of the past month - at the Savannah airport.  The drop of went fairly smooth (i left my glasses in the car and had to have them shipped home) and two hours later we arrived at Edisto Island for the vacation at the end of our vacation.

And that's pretty much it - i'll add one more post in a day or two to wrap things up and close the book on another "civitellobrothers" adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment